Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Shut Up and LISTEN

One of the most revisited topics in polyamory is communication. Everyone agrees that communication can make or break a relationship. I really think when we are focused on expressing our wants and needs we forget to take into account that we should be listening.
I've sat in discussions about communication, even fielded a question on the subject in a panel I did with the guys. I always want to add at the end of my spiel on talking that we need to remember to shut up at some point and listen.
One of the most informative tips on communication I ever got was on active listening. This didn't come from a poly workshop or a retreat that involved hugging but at a meeting at work. You can see a difference when someone is really, honestly listening to the words coming out of your mouth.
I'm going to save you from a hugging retreat and an interpersonal workshop, maybe even a potential breakup. Feel free to take notes.
Active Listening (explanations mine): *

1. Look at the person and suspend what you are doing.
Seems really easy. I'm bad about eye contact, I admit, but I will do my level best to give you my full attention. Forget multi-tasking when it's important. Put away your phone, tell whoever's online you'll catch them later. The internet will not disappear in the length of a conversation.

2. Listen not only to the words but the feeling content.
Sometimes we say one thing and are really feeling something else. Vocal cues can tell you alot about how someone is feeling, even when they won't say what's on their mind. Great example of that is my boss. I avoid her when I'm upset because she has the uncanny ability to hear the disharmony in my universe. I can't tell her everything is kosher, she'll call me out with a look.

3. Be interested in what the other person is talking about.
Seriously. Part of listening is being actually interested in what's being said, not waiting to rip it apart or for them to stop so you can talk. Even if you could care less, remember that it is important to the person speaking. I don't understand code or even pretend to but I will listen when J talks about computer stuff. I recognize his passion and show him respect by not reminding him that he is speaking Mandarin, showing a genuine interest.

4. Restate what the other person has says.
This shows you really heard and also will help you clarify. In the above example, I might ask J a question about what that bit of code that he described does when it's working properly or how it might go wrong. This can be very helpful in an argument: "You said you feel left out when I go on a date with so-and-so and then not take you to the movies because I'm tired."

5. Ask clarification statements.
This is an add-on of number four. I've asked questions for no other reason than just to show I'm listening, concerned. Less of a "and then what" and more of a "so what time did they show up?" These can also end a restatement as seen in above. One could add on "Would you like to set up a date night with me?"

6. Be aware of your own feelings and strong opinions.
Remember that you are talking to someone who has their own set of feelings and opinions but also remember that you are your own person. Everyone has an opinion and there is a fine art to expressing yours without looking like a total jackass. That does not mean you have to agree but to remember there is a time and place to be vocal. While you may not recycle, certainly don't tell an avid recycler that you see the whole thing as pointless and those who do are just spitting in the wind. It would also be wise not to tell a female lawyer that you believe women belong in the kitchen.

7. If you have to state your views do it only after you have listened.
This is active listening, not active interrupting. Let the speaker finish talking then say whatever it is that you have to say. Everyone likes to be heard, everyone has something they want to share BUT you need to listen before you speak. Conversation is more about listening than speaking.

For my next trick, I'll describe how to use these tips during an argument. While it may be lovely to have more than one partner, the fights will light up the sky.

*source: http://712educators.about.com/cs/activelistening/a/activelistening_2.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment